Thursday, May 31, 2012

Feast of Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary - May 31

The Visitation of Mary
Visitation means "visit." The Archangel Gabriel told the Blessed Virgin Mary that her cousin Elizabeth was going to have a baby. Elizabeth was an older woman. Mary knew that she might appreciate some help. She started out at once on the journey. Mary's trip was long and dangerous. It was uncomfortable, too. But that could not stop her. She rode on a donkey. Mary reached her cousin's house. She was the first to greet Elizabeth. At that moment, God revealed to Elizabeth that Mary had become his mother. Elizabeth asked joyfully, "How have I deserved that the Mother of my Lord should come to me?" Mary remained humble. She quickly gave all the credit to God. He had blessed her so richly.

"My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior," she said. "For he has regarded the lowliness of his handmaid, and holy is his name."
What graces the Blessed Mother brought to the home of her cousin! St. John, while still hidden in his mother's womb, was cleansed of original sin. Zachary was able to speak again. St. Elizabeth was filled with the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Mary stayed three months at her cousin's home. With great kindness and love, she helped Elizabeth.

3 comments:

Nancy Shuman said...

What a beautiful blog - a feast for eyes and heart!

Prayerflowers said...

Nancy,
Thank you for the kind and sweet comment.

I am behind on the liturgy postings. I feel bad that I leave my blog postings until last, letting the main website and prayer forum take first seat.

Your comment blessed me this morning...I pray always that am able to share the comfort and love God gives me.

Have a very bless day!
Love,
Prayerflowers

Anonymous said...

Hello.
Please encourage a lot of people to pray the Rosary.
You can visit for example http://www.rosary-center.org/howto.htm ,
http://www.theholyrosary.org .
God bless you.