Saturday, March 21, 2009

Communion for Forgiveness - The Sin of Judging


Communion for Forgiveness
If the unity of Christians in One Body makes the church, a sign of God in the world, and if men tend unfortunately to conflict and division by reason of their weakness, selfishness and sin, then the will to reconciliation and pardon is necessary if the Church is to make God visible in the world. Nor can this pardon, this communion in forgiveness, remain interior and invisible. It must be clearly manifest. So the mystery of the Church demands that Christians love one another in a visible and concrete way....Christ will not be visible to the world in His Church except in proportion as Christians seek peace in unity with one another and with all men. But since conflict is inevitable, unity cannot be maintained except in great difficulty, with constantly renewed sacrifice, with lucid honesty, openness, humility and readiness to ask forgiveness and to forgive.
Thomas Merton Seasons of Celebration, 216-217


The Sin of Judging - Luke 6:37-42
"Do not judge and you will not be judged; do not condemn and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven; give and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap; for measure you give will be measure you get back,"
He also told them a parable: "Can a blind person guide a blind person? Will not both fall into a pit? A disciple is not above the teacher, but everyone that is fully qualified will be like the teacher. Why do you seek the speck in your neighbors eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbor, "Friend, let me take out the speck in your eye," when you yourself do not see the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor's eye."

Suggested Prayer (by Thomas Merton)

Not a day goes by that I do not find myself judging and condemning the sins and failures of others. With the slightest examination of my conscience, my lack of compassion is obvious to me. Soften my judging heart, Lord. Let me see myself for who I truly am a sinner among sinners. Quiet my judging heart.

Lenten Action (by Thomas Merton)
If Lent is the Church's call to forgive and to be forgiven, how are you answering it?

11 comments:

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Bless your wonderful heart for your encouraging words on my Rosary post. Please feel free to use my testimony on your website...I pray my journey draws others closer to Jesus and into the mothering arms of Our Blessed Lady.
I shall be spending time today reading your blog and life journey - being nourished by words of Life.
May the Lord continue to use you to spread His flowers amongst others.
Hugs,
Jenny

Prayerflowers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Prayerflowers said...

Hi Jenny,
Your testimony truly did bless me.
I want to post it on my "God's flower Garden" website. I am going to put it on my Blessed Mother page. I hope to get it up this week.

http://www.prayerflowers.com

Love,
Prayerflowers

Michele said...

Jesus Himself said, judge not lest ye be judged.

Bernadette said...

Dear Prayerflowers,
Thank you for posting this wonderful and inspirational reminder about our daily lives.

God bless you,
Bernadette

Jenny of Elefantz said...

I am being so enriched by your blog and web pages...the prayers are so beautiful and I especially will be praying the Angel's prayer for the conversion of my son-in-law. Bless your beautiful heart.
Jenny

Marie said...

What a lovely blog..We must not judge but correct gently for we ourselves are not perfect.

Wishing you a Holy Easter:)

Peace & blessings to you:)

Marie...I hope you dont mind if I add you to my blogroll? God bless you!

Prayerflowers said...

Marliena, Bernadette, Purplepatch & Marie thank you so much for your sweet and kind thoughts and prayers.

You all bless me so much we your blogs and your friendships and prayers.

We are as close to each other as we are as close to Jesus...we share His heart...thank you for sharing with me...God bless you
Love,
Prayerflowers

Anonymous said...

What wonderful quotes from Thomas Merton and St. Luke. How true that we are such a judgmental bunch of people--sometimes it seems that we feel we are SUPPOSED to be judgmental.

Sometimes it is a great relief to have it dawn upon us that we don't HAVE to have a judgmental opinion about what someone else does.

Your blog is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing.
Kay
Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

Prayerflowers,
What a sweet spirit you have!
Bless you!
Ally :)

Prayerflowers said...

Dear Ally
Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words. God bless you.
Love,
Prayerflowers